It has been quite a long time since I made this kueh. It is one of my favourite since I'm a little girl. There is not difficult o make this but we have to get the pasrty (skin) correctly done. I believe many of us have tried few recipes and couldn't get the right texture of this kueh skin. I personally like those with a little elastic tender soft texture (QQ texture)...haha! I'm not sure how to describe it..;p
Well, here I'll like to share with you the best recipe I have (after so many trying).
*Recipe adapted from the book ~ hot favourite kueh ~ unknown)
Ingredients for the pastry (skin):
150g tapioca starch
150g wheat starch
3 tbsps vegetable oil
* mix all ingredients (except vegetable oil) with water. Mix well
* add in oil, mix well over a pot of simmering water till dough is formed
* remove and let cool slightly
* knead till dough is smooth on a work table
* cover with a piece of wet cloth for 30 minutes then it's ready to use.
Ingredients for the fillings:
400g jicama / sengkuang / bang kuang (peeled & shredded)
1/2 carrot (shredded)
50g dried shrimps (soaked & diced)
10 shallots (diced)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp water
* Saute the shallots and dried shrimps till fragrant
* Add in turnip and carrot and seasoning and stir well.
* add in water and fry well, side aside and let cool before using
** knead dough into long strip and divide into 45 equal portions. Roll out each portion into circle.
** Fill each piece of dough with 1 tbsp of fillings (or more) fold up into semi-circle or any patterns you desire. Remember to seal the edges nicely
** Lay banana leaves or any oil paper (suitable for steaming) on a steaming plate. Place dumplings on it and steam for 10 minutes at medium heat.
** Turn of heat and brush some oil on the surface of each dumplings to prevent from sticking to each other.
Add it's all ready to serve!!
I just couldn't get enough of this dumplings, and most of all my family loves them as much as I do.
Well, I guess I have to make another batch to fulfill our stomach now..^^
Happy Steaming ^^"