Friday, February 4, 2011

Triple Decker Nian Gao (Sweet Glutinous Cake)

Hi, how's your Chinese New Year celebrations going on? Today is the 3rd day, and we already had lots and lots of delicious food, gatherings and all happy moments back from hometown.
Back to our home sweet home, after settling down everything I finally have some time to read all the other bloggers posts and all my emails. And of course a short post here to wish everyone a happy holiday and good celebrations...:)

Nian Gao (Sweet Glutinous Cake)...is a traditional MUST-HAVE cake / kueh during Chinese New Year. Oh and this is my whole family's favourite which we usually have it for breakfast on the 2nd day. Somehow this was done and eaten before Chinese New Year starts...haha! Yeah ...we can't wait to taste it!!

The Nian Gao was bought by my mother-in-law from someone whom she knows very well. And we have been buying from her for many many years. After cutting into slices, I sandwiched it with some yam (taro) and sweet potatoes before frying...yummy!!

Here's the recipe for the batter for frying:
80g rice flour
1 tsp tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
100-125ml water

~ Sliced the nian gao, yam (taro) and sweet potatoes.
~ Combined batter, rest for 30 minutes. Just prior to deep-frying process., add in 1 tbsp of oil into the batter. Mix well.
~ Sandwich nian gao, yam and sweet potato together, coat with ready batter. Pan fry in hot oil till golden at medium heat for about 5-10 minutes. Remove, drained and serve.


Gong Xi Fa Cai!!


9 comments:

  1. Reese, I miss this and I love to eat this too, I shall using my mum homemade nian gao to making this soon. Gong Xi Fa Cai! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee, I just had this at a relative's house yesterday too. I love it, sweet, sticky and crispy skin! It's a must over here too. Looks like you are having a busy but fun new year celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the nian gao looks superb! happy chinese new year to u too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Chines New Year! Nice post...sounds like good times!
    Really nice site by the way...and beautiful pictures too!
    I will be checking in on this blog again!
    Lois from http://www.raspberry-depot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gong Xi Fa Cai :) Love to eat nian gao the way you cook yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love eating this but I'm giving this a miss this time! But your pictures are tempting me and beckoning me to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~ Sonia...can't wait to see you too...:)

    ~ Bee Bee, ya lorr....tiring of visiting..haha! Hey are you coming?

    ~ Jean..Gong Xi Gong Xi..:D

    ~ PL, thanks for visiting my blog..:)

    ~ Jeannie, Gong Xi Fa Cai! Thanks..:)

    ~ busygran, I think this is the favourite of all who celebrates CNY..heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reese, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family!! I still have 2 nian gao from 2 years ago in my fridge and it is as hard as a stone. I think it is time to take them out and fried it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gert...Gong Xi Gong Xi!!
    You should..haha! Anyway they still taste as nice as fresh after frying..:)
    Hey, when are you coming back? Pls let us know, so we can find a day to meet up again..:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails