Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mixed Fruits Cake with Brandy

Hi all, tomorrow is the last day of 2010!! How are you going to celebrate? Here, I'll like to wish everyone a joyous, merrier and fruitful year ahead...Happy New Year!
Well, I'll sure to have lots of funs with family and friends tomorrow. Will be going out for dinner, karaoke then countdown for the year of 2011...and of course there'll be fireworks and streetdance here..WOOO!!!
Let's see now...here's a cake that brings a little meaning to the end of the year...a fruit cake ~ I find that it's suitable for my last post in year 2010, and quite meaningful. Don't you think? I'll like to have a fruitful year ahead..lol!

Freshly baked yesterday and tightly wrapped in my fridge before I give it a try this morning...yummy! A recipe from my mother who did it every year without fail for us during Chinese New Year. Guess now its my turn to bake for her...:)

Here's the recipe I'll like to share....
200g butter
180g brown sugar
5 medium eggs
300g flour
500g mixed fruits (soaked in 5-6 tbsps of brandy for at least 2 days)
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp orange juice
3/4 tsp mixed spice
Method:
~ Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy, gradually add in eggs.
~ Fold in flour and mixed spice, then follow by orange juice and golden syrup.
~ Lastly fold in the drained mixed fruits and mix well.
~ Pour into a tray line with parchement paper. ( I used 3 trays~2.5"x6.5")
~ Level the top and bake at 160'C for at least 50 mins to 1 hour.
~ Shower with some extra brandy on the cake once done and wrap with aluminium foil immediately. Let cool and chill for 1 day before serving.
** Cake taste better after 1 or 2 days.
Hope you like this recipe as much as I do. Cakes can be kept in the fridge for at least a month or two. But normally its all gone after 2 to 3 days..;p

Before I sign off, I'll like to wish everyone again...
A WonDerFul & HApPy NeW YeAr!!!!



9 comments:

  1. Lovely fruit cakes. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Happy New Year, Reese! Hope to see more beautiful bakes from you! I shall try your fruit cake for CNY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruitcake is a must too for our household during Christmas and CNY. I have yet to bake one for the coming CNY. Wishing you and your family A Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year dear friends....:)
    Wishing you and your family a "NEW" year ahead...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, delicious looking cake!!! Hmmm...yummy. What can i substitute brandy with? (I'm a muslim)) n wherre can i get mixed spice? :-) Ash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi shabbycottage67,
    Thank you! You can always avoid the brandy, the cake still taste nice. I'm not sure where you from, i always got the mix spice from any bakery supplies stores here in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm from Singapore. But i'm afraid the fruits will sink after baking...urs looks PERFECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ash,
    I think you can get the mix spice in any bakery supply store in Singapore. Btw, the fruits muz be dry enough when you mix in the batter so they will not sink. Or maybe you can toss the dry fruits with some flour before mixing in the batter..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you...will definitely give this cake a try!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails