Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Coffee Chiffon Cake

Yup! Its a chiffon cake! Running out of ideas of what to eat for tomorrow's breakfast, then I just searched and digged whatever is left in the cupboard and fridge. Well, I can make a coffee chiffon instead..;) So here it is!



A recipe adapted from Kevin Chai - Chiffon Cake is Done, but i did some changes cause I don't have any Mocha Instant Coffee but just Nescafe. Anyway the coffee scent is not as strong as I expected, but the texture is super soft.




Egg Yolk Batter
2 tbsp instant coffee powder
60ml milk
4 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
40ml cooking oil
80g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Egg White Foam
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
80g caster sugar

Method
~ Stir instant coffee powder with milk until melted. Combine with egg yolks, sugar and oil together.
~ Fold in flour and set aside.
~ Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak.
~ Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter until blended. (Divide into 3 times)
~ Pour into ungreased 8" mould and bake in a pre-heated oven for 35 mins or until cooked.
~ Invert cake to cool before removing.



The texture is really soft, fluffy and cottony. The next chiffon I'm going to bake is Orange flavour. Actually that's what my girl ordered..;p

13 comments:

  1. Incidentally, I had just baked a chiffon cake too! Mine is using the leftover beet that I have after baking the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reese, u've been baking alot eh !! nice chiffon cake.. now can u send me some :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake looks so fluffy and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah! So tall! *Envy* Ai ya, have been searching for Kevin Chai's "Chiffon Cake is Done" for a long time, still cannot find. :P Looks like you are gonna enjoy your breakfast very much! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so long did not bake chiffon, these few weeks busy baking lemon butter cake and yogurt cake. After see yours, I must quickly bake some chiffon liao..

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~Jeannie, haha..what a coincidence..;)

    ~Swee San, yea lo..have to la, too much outside food not good ma..heehee..;p

    ~Bakericious, thanks, its really soft & fluffy. Very Happy with the result..:)

    ~Bee Bee, I so surprise with the result too! I too looking for Kevin Chai's "Chiffon Cake is Done" but too bad, all sold out! So I searched online lo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sonia, you know what? I'm going to make your butter lemon cake next week again..;) It has been my family's favourite since then..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the texture..Well done.!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice and tall chiffon you have! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~ Evy, thanks..:)

    ~ Jane, thank you, going to make another one tomorrow..heehee.;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely bake chiffon! I like coffee flavor one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks KC, but I used only nescafe powder, however the coffee scent was not strong enough. I think I got to get some nice and good quality coffee for this cake next time..;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Reese

    Unfortunately I have some sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, Rosie passed away yesterday. I have written up a tribute to her on my blog and I am asking everyone who knew her if they would please take some time to leave a comment. I will be printing off all the comments to pass onto her husband.

    Thanks
    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails