Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nyonya Tapioca Kueh

Schools holiday is around the corner. Another week to go I'll have a nice break and a gathering that I've been so looking forward to. That means we'll have delicious and yummy food too, oh so excited!! Oh watch my diet...I have to remind myself for that..haha! But there is always "eat first then starts diet tomorrow"...;p
Okay, forget about the diet thing, and I've baked this yummy tapioca kueh for supper few days ago.

It's not as high as the picture shown in the book, probably I've used the wrong pan for this recipe..;p Anyway the texture was good but not the next day. It gets harden the next day even I've heated it..:( So if you are trying this recipe, do finish it the day it was freshly bake.
Recipe adapted from "Nyonya Traditional Kueh by Chef Ricky Ng".
Here's the recipe for easy reference....
1kg grated tapioca
few banana leaves
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp custard powder
1/2 tbspsago flour
160g sugar
30g fresh grated coconut
30g butter (melted)
**1 beaten egg & a pinch of salt for brushing the top.
Method:
~ Squeeze dry grated tapioca, then add in all others ingredients (except banana leaves)
and mix well.
~ Line the 7" square tin (has been corrected) with banana leaves, then pour in tapioca mixture and steam over high heat for 30 minutes. (by the same time, preheat the oven at 180'C)
~ Remove from steamer, brush with (topping ingredients) egg mixture.
~ Bake the kueh at 180'C for another 30 minutes. Test the kueh with a bamboo skewer comes out clean, then cool the kueh completely before slicing.


The top was slightly crispy and the insidde was soft. Chewy and soft texture when its fresh. I can say this kueh is slightly light and healthy because there's only 30g of grated coconut used rather than coconut milk.

Try it out and let me know whether you like this recipe or not. Happy baking and have a nice day...:)


8 comments:

  1. Wei, that nice gathering got include me or not huh? Heehee! I'm very excited about my coming trip! It's been months since my last return. Eat eat eat and chat chat chat! Anyway, your tapioca kueh looks really nice, I love eating this, yum yum! But abit lazy to grate the tapioca, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bee Bee, it's you I'm talking about la...haha! So Excited!! We must have a longer time to chat this time ya...;p
    Ya lorr, grating the tapioca is tiring leh..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lovely tapioca kueh is a reminder to my hubby's request for it a week ago. But I'll probably bake it as we like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful and this is one of my favorite kueh. Gone into my to do list. If I am successful and it comes out half as nice as yours, I will post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I love chewy dessert...! This is a real must-try :D)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~ busygran, tapioca kueh is delicious no matter how we cook/bake...:)

    ~ Veron, thank you..:) You'll success and it definitely will turn out perfect...:D

    ~ Cooking Gallery, yeah, this texture is chewy and most importantly not too sweet...;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... is it due to the missing coconut milk that it hardens the next day?
    Last time I made some, and it was ok even chilled for a week, I only reheated it in the oven and it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, I'm not sure whether its the coconut milk or not, but its perfect on the day it was baked. Maybe I'll try to add some in it next time i bake..;p

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails