Saturday, June 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Honey ~ Simple Fruit Flan Cake

Its my hubby's birthday today!! Happy Birthday Honey...:)

I have been searching and thinking what kind of cake to bake for him for the past 2 weeks. I want something special but it has to be his favorite. He's not those fondant fan, and he doesn't like chocolate or coffee cakes. Well, his favorite cake is butter cake! Sounds boring...haha!

Just past 2 days my daughter and me have decided to bake something light and easy for him. A simple fruit flan cake..that is it! Fresh and light, a simple 2-tiered heart cake...:) Ah...see the decorations, its my daughter's idea...haha..."Strawberries".

Oh yes, my hubby love it! He had a big piece of it and said its good!! I'm very happy with his feed back...haha!
A very simple cake with fresh strawberry cream and Lychee.....sounds weird but taste super good.
If you like to try, here's the recipe...

**Prepare the sponge and cut into desire shape. I used 2 heart shape pans (6" and 4") for this cake.

Ingredients for the sponge:
6 egg yolks
20g fine sugar
60g fresh milk
45g corn oil
100g superfine cake flour
15g cornflour

6 egg whites
65g fine sugar

Method:
~ Beat egg yolks and sugar till well blended, add in oil, milk and mix well.
~ Add in both flour and mix well. Set aside.
~ Whisk the egg whites with sugar till a stiff peak form.
~ Mix in the egg white mixture into the egg yolks mixture (divide into 3 times) until well blended.
~ Pour onto pan with parchment papers, and bake at 180'C for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.

Ingredients:
150g Non dairy cream (whipped)
100g fresh strawberries (blended)
1/2 can Lychee (canned) ~ halved

~ Mix the blended strawberries with quarter of the whippped cream.
~ Sliced the sponges into layers, spread the strawberry cream on the 1st layer then place some halved lychee on the cream.
~ Spread another thin layer of the strawberry cream on top of the lychee and sandwich it with another layer of sponge.
(do the same for the smaller heart shape sponges)
~ Cover the cake with remaining whipped cream and decorate as you like.


Happy Birthday Honey, and may you stay healthy and happy with us...:)

11 comments:

  1. That's such a nice cake! A small little heart on a bigger heart! Is it simple to just stack on top? How did you do it? It's really pretty. Actually, I share the same sentiment as you. We cracked our heads trying to come out with unique designs for our loved ones. However, sometimes, simpler seems to be better! :) Happy birthday to your other half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    Thank you...:) There's no special techniques here to stack the cake actually. I've tried my best to cover my mistakes with cream...lol! And it seems this was the best cake he ever tried from me, beside the butter cake...hehe! Same as you, should I be happy or disappointed after so many bakes..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My man prefer simple cakes from me too, haha!
    Happy birthday to ur hubby

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Wild Boar loves buttercake too :) That is double love you gave him...awesome cake...light and delish!
    Happy Birthday to your hubby !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you hanushi, Wendy & Elin...:)
    Yea, a double hearts..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday to your "Lo Kong", you must be very happy to eat the Birthday cake for his belove wife, well done Reese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby. That is a very pretty cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sonia & Gertrude.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello reese,
    this cake looks amazing!! belated b'day wishes to your hubby!!!!
    First time to your space, I'm loving it. No doubt i'm following your blog.
    I will be very Delighited to find you in my followers list of my blog.

    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi DD, welcome to my blog...:)Thank you for your wishes too! I'll definitely hop to your blog...:D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails