Monday, May 18, 2015

Baked Mini Sponge Cakes/Kueh Bahulu (小小鸡蛋糕)

Feeling great when you got things done at the first time. I've wanted to try this cake long time ago but never have the gut to do it until my mom gave me the mold weeks ago. Actually I've bookmarked this recipe from my collection of books long long time ago..haha! Yeah...finally I get to to it. And yay! I've got it right in my first attempt. 
My mom used to make this Mini Sponge Cake / Kueh Bahulu every year for us during Chinese New Year. She has been using many different kinds of recipe (mostly her own recipe..haha!) and sometimes she just couldn't get it right. You know, when she refused to follow the proper recipe and go with her own instinct instead...hmm, I should make this for her to try..;p
All the simple ingredients required (no emulsifier or any artificial ingredients) and you can have some soft and fluffy mini cakes for tea or breakfast. Love it!


Ingredients:
200g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
300g eggs (without shell)
250g castor sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
50g corn oil

小小鸡蛋糕

Method:
* Dry-fry cake flour in a clean wok till light. (the lighter you feel the better). Cool.
* Sieve cooled flour together with baking powder.
* In an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar till very light and fluffy. Add in vanilla.
* At low speed fold in flour and corn oil alternatively. (starts and ends with dry ingredients)
* Preheat oven at 180'C. Heat and grease molds.
* Spoon in batter into molds (3/4 full) and bake at 180'C for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
* Remove and cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
(use a tooth pick to remove the cakes from the mold if you are using the stainless steel mold like mine)

Did some with small round cake molds (about 2" width) and they look beautiful.
Maybe you can try with other flavors by adding pandan juice or cocoa powder for chocolate lovers. I think I'll try some with coffee next time...hehe!


Have a look in the inside of the cake, does it looks soft to you? Maybe you have a better one...please do share with me ya. Thanks in advance..(^_^)


Happy Baking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails