Friday, April 16, 2010

Flaky Roasted Bacon Siew Baos

Hey my dear friends, I'm back! Yea...back to my kitchen. It has been a long break since my last bake. I'm quite tight up with work lately and my girl has been sick since last week. She has a slight flu at first then she has cough and sore throat...then fever! Gosh! Bad bad bad..:( When she's sick, I can't sleep, worrying day and night. When I got not enough rest, my body aches..*sigh*.
She has recovered from fever but still has the cough. Don't want her to take any more medicine cause it makes her restless. Guess drinking more fluids will help.

Okay, back to my kitchen at last. Longing to bake this last 2 weeks and finally I got the time. Got this from my collection of books but has changed the fillings inside.

What do you think?? Yummy?



Here's the ingredients for you...

Ingredients for Water Dough:

200g Plain flour
60g Shortening
2 tbsps Castor sugar
125ml Water

Ingredients for Oil Dough:

160g Plain flour
160g Shortening

Ingredients for filling:

300g Roasted bacon (it can be replaced with roasted chicken)
1 onion, chopped
alittle shallots, chopped
alittle green peas

Seasoning:
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbps Soy sauce
1 tbsp Thick soy sauce
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Cornflour
1/4 tsp pepper (optional)

** Alittle white sesame for decoration before bake.

Method:
~ Stir fry shallots and onion till frgnant then add in other ingredients and seasoning and stir well. Refrigerate for later use.
~ Mix oil dough ingredients and make into a ball. Set aside.
~ Mix water dough ingredients and knead slightly to form a smooth dough.
~ Roll out water dough with center thicker than the edges.
~ Wrap in oil dough and slightly roll flat. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
~ Roll out dough with a rolling pin and fold   into half. Roll it out one more time. Fold into 3 layers and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
~ Divide the dough into 18 portions. Flatten each portion and wrap in the filling.
~ Place on tray lined with parchment paper and brush egg wash on top.
~ Bake at 200'C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.



The result is superb! The flaky pastry with the juicy fillings...yummy! I did it...;p (Although the wrapping was out of shape here..haha!)

Its definetely a keeper for me. This time I'll have a cup of tea with it instead of coffee..haha!




Got to go...happy baking everyone & have a nice weekend..:)

12 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious! It has been so long since I ate these. Really miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You Siew Bao looks very very delicious! I love to eat Siew Bao especially my home town one. Yours Siew Bao looks exactly the same that I always eat. Very very pro!! I wish I can make it as nice as yours....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they do look very good...I am going to try it one day when I have the time. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Angie, thanks for the compliment..:)

    ~Grace, thank you. Not pro la...pai-seh..;p This is my 1st attempt actually, got to improve in the filling but satisfy with the pastry though..:) I love my hometown one too!

    ~Jeannie, thank you and yes, you must try and let me know..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah...like those Seremban siew pau you bought for us! No need to queue up any more...just ask from you, heehee. ;D Good to have you back baking again...miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha Bee Bee, if compare to those in Seremban there's so much difference la...;p I just manage to make a nice flaky pastry...Ben said the filling is so-so only wo...hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reese, your siew bao looks so yummy, I am drooling cos I like siew bao alot too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so pro! Just like seremban siew paos!! Now I feel like eating it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Reese,
    Your baos looks really nice! The pleats on the top looked so pro! I can't believe it was your first attempt!! If it were me, I would have done it like how I learnt from my "Tim Sum" workshop, much easier than your pleats! Yummy wor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bakericious & Joslynn....:)

    @Jane, Pai-seh larr...;p It's not that pro actually, I found some nice one to take picture while the rest are out of shape...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi reese,

    ur bao really looks fabolous..i always wannted to make..but doesnt have d recipe..will try urs soon..thx dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Subhie Arun,
    Thanks for dropping by and I'm glad to hear that you'll like to try this recipe..:)
    Happy Baking!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails