Friday, September 2, 2011

Marble Chocolate "Fatt Gao"

Our school 3rd term break / Raya holiday is almost going to end. By next Monday, everything will be back to normal, my daughter is going back to school and I'm going back to my daily schedule..:( How I wish the holiday is longer...;p
Anyway, I still have something to look forward to....hehe! I'm going to meet my dear friend & family next weekend....Ooooo I just can't wait!!!

This holiday, my youngest sister & family came visit. We had a great time shopping and dining outside for 3 days. My daughter had so much fun, well too much actually and ends up she's not looking forward to go back to school. Yes, too much playing makes her lazy...;p Alright, with too much heavy food for almost a week, I've made something which is really light and healthy for our snack today. A "chocolate marble fatt gao" which was adapted from one of my collection book, "Steamed cake & Kuih Muih" by Famous Cuisine.


Ingredients A:
1 egg
140g castor sugar
300g plain flour
1 tsp double action baking powder
180ml water

Ingredients B:
1.5 tsp melted chocolate

Ingredients C:
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tbsp castor sugar
60ml luke warm water

Method:
~ Mix ingredients C, rest 5 minutes for fermentation.
~ Sift flour and double action baking powder and set aside.
~ Whisk egg and sugar until light and creamy with mixer (as shown on 2nd picture above), add in water, mix well slowly.
~ Gradually add in flour mixture, mix well. Next add in ingredients C mixture, stir until become smooth batter. (as shown on 2nd picture above)
~ Divide batter into 2 portions evenly, mix a portion with ingredients B. Leave aside.
~ Grease 12 small fatt gao moulds with a thin layer of corn oil. Preheat in the steamer for 5 minutes before add in batter.
~ Remove moulds from steamer, spoon in chcolate batter then follow by original batter. Form a marble texture with a chopstick.
~ Steam in preheated steamer at high heat for 20 minutes. Remove and serve.

The texture is so fluffy soft and my daughter had 2 right away. She said this is really nice, haha! Well, kids do tell the truth right...LOL!! The sweetness was just right if you are using semi sweet chocolate here. If not, you may reduce the sugar to 130g in ingredients A.

Notice there are no oil or butter used here except the greasing part. So I guess this is a really healthy snack that you can have anytime you like. I might change to other flavours the next time I make this, with my favourite coffee, pandan, anything will just go right with it....^^


Cheers!!

5 comments:

  1. Just made some yesterday with the balance of starter from the pak tong koh.
    Yours look good marbled. Next tme I try that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fluffy texture! I like it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have been wanting to make fatt goh for awhile too! Your recipe come just the right timing!  yes yes, pandan flavor will be very nice too, but need to replace some of the water with coconut milk or not ah? I hope that dear friend you're talking about is none other then me, lol! See u soon friend. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy,
    Your pak tong koh were very delicious. shared it with my sister that day...hehe! Oh, this fatt gao was good, you must try!

    Vivian,
    Thank you & you are most welcome with this recipe..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee Bee,
    Yes!! My dear friend that I'm waiting to meet is you...LOL!! I have another recipe from the same book which is pandan flavour. Same amount water in "ingredient C" but with thick coconut milk & pandan juice. Now I know what to make for you next week...hehe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails