Monday, March 29, 2010

Gula Melaka Fatt Goh

Hi there! How's everyone doing? Me....good! Got myself some recipe books last 2 days.
Here's something I'll like to share with you from one of my new collections. Somehow, some changes have been made to this recipe, hope eveyone will like it..:)

Here's my lovely babies.......;p




Ingredients: (makes 12)
(A)
1 egg
125g castor sugar
300g plain flour
1 tsp Double Action baking powder
180ml water

(B)
3 tbsps Gula melaka (cooked the gula melaka with some pandan leaves to get thick syrup)

(C)
1 tbsp Instant yeast
1 tbsp sugar
60ml water

Method:
~ Mix ingredients (C) together and rest for 10 minutes for fermentation.
~ Whisk egg and sugar till creamy (with mixer)
~ Add water and mix well slowly (by hand)
~ Add in flour and baking powder gradually and mix well.
~ Add in ingredient (C), stir well until become smooth batter.
~ Divide batter into 2 portions evenly. Mix a portion with ingredient (B)
~ Prepare the greased "Fatt Goh" cups, preheat in the steamer for 5 minutes before add in the batter.
~ Remove the cups from steamer, spoon in gula melaka batter then follow by original flavour batter, form a marble texture with stirring with chopsticks.
~ Steam in preheated steamer at high heat for 20-25 minutes.

** The gula melaka can be replaced with other flavours as desire. ( eg: pandan, chocolate..etc.)

** And also do use a deeper mould to steam so that the cakes may "smile" nicely after steaming. Too shallow and wide mould won't give you the texture (top- split) because they'll have too much space to spread side ways. (Mine was not all smiling nicely, guess I have to go get some proper mould...;p)




The texture? Its soft and fluffy. Really good! Note there's no coconut milk added, and yet the cakes still can bring out the taste of gula melaka. I can say this is quite healthy (but ignore the sugar & yeast..haha!)



I'm quite happy with the result actually. And its all gone by now...:)..CHEERS!!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Fatt Goh! Love the swirl! Some more no coconut milk woh! Where did you get the Fatt Goh mould? Can trouble you to help me get? Will pay you back when I see you this Friday, heehee...thanks horr dear friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reese,
    The fatt gao looks so good! The way it "split" on top, and the texture is so perfect. Btw, what flour is it? Is it plain flour or rice flour? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wor, your Fatt Kuih is very "Fatt" wo...since you say so good, must try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bee Bee, so sorry to tell you that I haven't go purchase the fatt goh mould yet. I juz used those we bought for our "Ouar Koh Kueh". Remember?
    As you can see some of the cakes here are not really "fatt" coz the mould i used was too shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jane...so sorry that I miss out the flour part. Its actually plain flour i used. I've added in the post..;p Thanks!

    @ Sonia...yes! Its lovely to see and delicious to eat..:) Btw, its not really all that "fatt" coz my moulds are too shallow. Guess I have to purchase those proper "fatt Goh" mould to make this again..;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color of you fatt koh and it smile beautifully. I tried making fatt koh a few time but not smile from them. I am bookmarking this to try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gertrude,
    Just like to share some tips with you that I've left out in this post. Do use a deeper mould to steam this coz too shallow & wide ones will give the cakes too much space to spread when steaming. That's why mine was not all "smile" nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the marble effects.. looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane,
    No problem, hope you like it..:)

    Grace,
    Me too. Just love to look at it...;p

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails