Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shandong Dumplings 山东饺子

Its been more than a week that I didn't post anything here, and now I'm back! I've been busy with my daughter's exam lately and after that I'm too tired to do anything. All I want is relax and shopping..hehe! Well, too much outside food lately and I guess its time to have my bakings and cookings back.
Right, today's post is dumplings. We love dumplings, all kinds of dumplings but I'm no good at it. It seems rather difficult to get a correct and soft dumpling pastry. After several attempts, I finally got one! This is really good and the pastry stay soft after few hours. I guess I'm successful this time!

Shandong Dumplings (山东饺子) a recipe adapted from the book "Joy of Making Dim Sum"by Patsie Cheong. Yes, I have had this book for long long time, but this the first time trying out her recipe..;p

Want the recipe? Here you go.....


Recipe for Pastry:

250g glutinous flour

100g wheat starch

300ml boiling water

3 tbsps cooking oil


Recipe for fillings:

400g minced pork

150g shredded spicy Sichuan stem mustard (soaked in hot water before use)

few french beans (finely chopped)


Marinate:

1 tbsps oyster sauce

1/2 tsp sesame oil

1-2 tbsps light soy sauce

1/2 tsp chicken stock powder


Method:

~ Marinate the mince pork with marinate ingredients and leave for 30 minutes.

~ Heat up wok with 2 tbsps oil and stir fry all fillings ingredients until half cooked. Leave aside.

~ Mix dough ingredients except oil and mix well. Add in oil and knead into a smooth dough.

~ Divide dough into small portions. Flatten dough and wrap in fillings.

~ Arrange in a steamer and steam for 8-10 minutes over medium heat.

** Remember to brush some oil onto the prepare plate or pan before placing the dumplings to steam.

** Remember to brush some cooked oil on top of each dumplings after steam.

Yummy! I took 5 dumplings while I'm taking a picture of them..haha! Its so soft and I'm just too happy to share with my dear friends. What they said, well one of my friend can't stop eating and told me its super good after taking 5!!
Trust me, this the best recipe I found!!

Cheers!!

7 comments:

  1. The sichuan stem mustard is.... tai tow choy? Harm choy? Zhar Choy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...these look so good...! I love dumplings too, I can eat them everyday without getting bored :D). I've bookmarked the recipe, I absolutely want to try making these, because the dumpling skin looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~ Wendy,
    I used "zha choy" here. I think you can replace with any type you like..:) Actually I'm planning to use this pastry for another type of fillings too..;p

    ~ Cooking Gallery,
    Thanks! Hope you like it as much as I do..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...dumplings!I'm the big fan of it.Seems the ingredient so simple, i think i should give it a try too!Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same cook book too but have yet to try anything out of it. I like the filling of this kueh because of the char choy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh interesting filling...I have not tasted mustard greens inside dumplings before. :P But I guess I can trust your taste. :) Yes the skin does look soft...glad that you found your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wai Kitt,
    Hope you like this..:)

    Gertrude,
    Oh, you should try this, its a good one!

    Bee Bee,
    Yes, this is good! Ah, this recipe is good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails